Wood slabs are one of the most effective ways to add some functionality to your space or make a bold aesthetic statement with its importance and uses within the home.
Getting the best epoxy also add more strength and durability to your wood slab, especially when you need to place heavyweights upon it regularly. Epoxy adheres to wood slabs as it lasts long even when it is constantly exposed to water or blemishes.
With this article, you’ll most certainly be able to choose the best epoxy for wood slabs, and you’ll understand all there is to know before selecting the one that best suits your wood slabs.
All at a Glance
Choose from our top 3 Picks
Last update on 2024-02-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top 5 Best Epoxy for Wood Slabs
This is a crystal clear finish that makes epoxy perfect for wood slabs, table tops, live edges tables, and many more. Although it contains UV inhibitors that help to resist yellowing, it is not advisable to leave it in direct sunlight or outside.
When this epoxy is adequately cured, it is possible to be food safe. It is not advisable to pour this product over oil-based paint, but you can mix it with mica pigment powder which comes in different colors, glitters, and even glow in the dark. It can recoat surfaces after many years of use to regain a very smooth and glossy finish.
- SLOWS DOWN YELLOWING: If you want to keep your bar top and tabletop crystal clear longer, we have a solution for you. Enhanced with a UV-Resistant formula, our UV resin kit resists yellowing caused by direct sunlight.
- SUPER CLEAR RESULTS: Our self-leveling 2 part epoxy resin cures to an ultra-clear finish with little to bubble free epoxy resin. With our UV art clear epoxy resin, you can expect a smooth and glass-like coating every time on your DIY furniture projects.
- FOOD-SAFE WHEN FULLY CURED: If properly mixed, poured, and completely cured, you can rely on our food safe epoxy resin UV Pro Formula coating epoxy as a food contact surface. Follow the instructions in the kit to create an attractive and durable counter, bar top, or live edge table in no time.
- LOW ODOR: We get it. You hate the harsh chemical odor of your table top epoxy mix. Good news is our epoxy resin kit is now formulated to contain zero VOC or zero fumes making zero odor and safe for home use.
- Formerly Incredible Solutions: Two renowned epoxy brands, ProMarine Supplies and Incredible Solutions, have united to form Promise Epoxy, the ultimate powerhouse in the resin art and home decor industries.
Last update on 2024-02-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- It resists yellowing, water, and blemish
- Has a low odor
- Zero VOC and consistent thickness
- It cures quickly
- Cannot be used outside
This epoxy is designed for tabletops, wood finishes, slabs, bar tops, artworks, and more. It is essential to keep the work area at 80 degrees and be careful while mixing.
This product offers one of the most significant coverage areas at 48 sq ft and is naturally blush resistant. For a scratch-resistant and hard surface, you need to heat the epoxy a little bit so that it’ll cure harder. It is self-leveling, UV resistant, and produces a tough and water-resistant coating.
- Self levelling Surface: Our 2 part epoxy resin guarantees an even, self-leveling coating that eliminates imperfections such as craters, crawling, and fish eyes, ensuring perfection for your table top, art table, office table, wood table.
- Food Safe when Fully Cured: Enjoy a hassle-free 1:1 mixing ratio while adhering to FDA code 300 for food safety. This food safe epoxy is Ideal choice for projects like bar table, tumbler, table top, and countertop.
- UV Resistant: The clear epoxy resin cures to a strong, clear gloss, crystal-clear finish, highlighting intricate details and enhancing the overall appearance of your masterpiece.
- All-inclusive Bundle: Create your own stunning DIY craft resin projects, which features an epoxy resin kit with 4 measuring cups, 6 medium crafting gloves, 2 foam brushes, and 6 mixing sticks. This resin accessories kit provides everything you need to get started on your crafting endeavors.
- Epoxy Powerhouse Merger: Formerly Pro Marine, Promise Epoxy combines the perfected formulas of ProMarine Supplies and Incredible Solutions to create a new leader in epoxy for home decor, art and crafts.Epoxy Powerhouse Merger: Formerly Pro Marine, Promise Epoxy combines the perfected formulas of ProMarine Supplies and Incredible Solutions to create a new leader in epoxy for home decor, art and crafts.
Last update on 2024-02-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- It is self-leveling and food safe
- Cures quickly
- Zero VOCs
- It is blush and water-resistant
- Not for outdoor use
This is a non-hazardous product with everything you need to get started with craft resin. It is designed to be strong, durable, crystal clear, and increase the attractiveness and value of whatever it is applied on. It is self-leveling, non-toxic, UV resistant, and very easy to use.
This kit comes with a reusable mixing stick and gloves that offer convenient usage. After mixing the two parts ( resin and hardener), it gets tacky for about 25-35 minutes and for 50 minutes or more before signs of forming. You shouldn’t be messed with. It’s best to prep ahead of time. The cured craft resin can only tolerate a maximum temperature of 200F or 93C after 21 days.
- ARTISAN APPROVED QUALITY - Unlock your artistic potential with Craft Resin. Premium clear epoxy resin and hardener allows you to create beautiful pieces with a glass-like finish and no yellowing over time. Popular for DIY art, tabletop coating, mold casting, canvas, coasters and jewelry making.
- BUBBLE-FREE, NO YELLOWING - Are you tired of dealing with the frustration of bubbles and uneven finishes in your resin projects? Our advanced formula is an innovation on the epoxy resin market. Release air bubbles automatically when the resin is warm, recommended depth 1/4 inch.
- CERTIFIED, FOOD SAFE - Craft Resin epoxy made with a minimal odor, non-toxic, free of VOCs & solvent materials - food grade epoxy resin perfectly formulated for home and professional use. Harmless to you and the environment, when used as directed.
- FAST CURING, HEAT RESISTANT - It takes only 24 hours for our crystal epoxy resin to cure. After this time it becomes rock hard, scratch resistant, advanced additive resistant to heat up to 203℉ (95℃). You’re going to have a crystal clear, glassy smooth finish which will last for years.
- EASY TO USE, 1:1 RATIO - Our two part epoxy resin kit is simple to use, even for beginners. Kits include resin (17OZ), hardener (17OZ), reusable mixing stick, gloves, manual. Upgrade your resin game and elevate your art to the next level with Craft Resin supplies.
Last update on 2024-02-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- It is easy to use and Non-toxic
- UV resistant
- Self-leveling and crystal clear
- Low odor
- It is Food safe
- Manual can be hard to follow
This is an excellent resin for coating, tabletops, acrylic pouring, wood slabs, live edge river tables, and more. Its outstanding color stability helps to preserve the colors of your work. It’s very durable and easy to use for both beginners and professionals.
It is crystal clear, and it’s a unique fast curing resin that cures fully within 24 hours. It gives a glass-like appearance which makes it durable, and can be used on any surface with a long working time of 45 minutes. This epoxy is odor-free for better air quality while working and is recommended for indoor use.
- Prefect For Any Artist's Project – PUDUO Epoxy Resin has been created specifically for the resin art marker ! CRYSTAL CLEAR & Fully With long lasting results for wood finishes and more applications. You will get one pair pump, 64OZ resin and Hardener each.
- Unique Fast Curing Resin - Finished casting can be remove within 8 hours and full cured fast within one day.
- Easy To Use - straightforward and no confusion, just mix one part resin to one part hardener and then you'll have 45 minutes of work time at room temperature to produce your finest work!
- Amazing For All Your Art Projects - including casting and doming Resin Art, Resin Jewelry, nd more! The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
- Reply within 24 Hours ＆ Satisfaction Guarantee - we provide 1 year free replacement and free technical support for life. If you have any questions or concerns before or after your purchase, please feel free to contact us.
Last update on 2024-02-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- User friendly
- Has a fantastic color stability
- Durable and hard
- Low odor and zero VOCs
- Cures quickly
- For indoor use
This is an epoxy solution that mixes quickly and stays clear for many years. When it is appropriately applied, it brings out the beauty of any surface. This epoxy reduces the formation of bubbles and lumps in the mixture.
You wouldn’t need to purchase mixing materials from stores as the kit includes two mixing cups, a silicone spatula, and a plastic spreader. This epoxy is formulated to withstand UV rays, water, scratches, and it’s a protective coating that lasts much longer. It resists yellowing and reduces bubbles to deliver a clear and sturdy finish.
- ✅ START RIGHT AWAY - This Liquid Epoxy Resin Kit Comes With A 64oz Bottle Of Resin And Hardener (Totaling A Gallon Of Epoxy Resin When Mixed), 2 Mixing Cups, A Silicone Spatula, And A Plastic Spreader
- 💎CRYSTAL CLEAR FINISH - Unlike Other Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear And Hardener Kits That Yellow Over Time This Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear Coating Produces A Hard Gloss That Withstands Water And Scratches
- 💧Bubble Resistant - Create And Culture Seamless Works Of Art. Our Epoxy Crystal Clear Resin Epoxy Is Designed To Mix And Pour Easily, Reducing Bubbles To Deliver A Clear Laminating Finish
- 🔨 ALL YOUR CRAFTS - This Clear Epoxy Resin Art Kit Can Give A Glass-like Glaze To Your Plywood, Floor, Paint, Coffee Table, Countertops, Jewelry, Coasters, Tiles And Marine Boat Fiberglass Projects
- 😄 PERFECT FINISH - This Gallon Of Resin Epoxy Kit Is Self-leveling Epoxy Resin Creates An Amazing, Clear Coating On Wood, Granite, Ceramic, Porcelain, Marble, Laminate, Metal, Canvas, And Much More.
Last update on 2024-02-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Easy to pour, mix and use
- Water and scratch-resistant
- It resists yellowing and withstands UV rays
How to Paint Wood Without Sanding
Sanding is generally considered to be time-consuming, even with power tools like an electric sander. Because it takes a long time to ensure no lore bumps and rough patches on the surface of your wood, it is most times, not an ideal option. However, if you’re tired of spending days sanding before painting, here’s the entire process explained:
Find a sturdy piece of wood that is structurally sound with immaculate lines, then clean the piece of wood thoroughly to remove grime or dirt with gloves on as it leaves your work with a clean finish.
The next step is to use a liquid sander or any alternative such as chalk paint. The liquid sander, also known as deglosser, is a chemical solution designed to work like sandpaper, except that you don’t have to do much manual labor compared to regular sandpaper.
It only removes glossy layers and cannot be used to smooth surfaces, remove imperfections. But it eliminates layers in the surface that allow the topcoat to stick without sanding it manually. Ensure you prepare the surface soap and water and wear a proper work cloth and protection as the liquid sander give off strong fumes that may irritate the eyes, nose, and skin.
After you’ve applied the liquid sander on the surface with a clean, lint-free rag, wait for the allotted time on the label before you wipe down with a clean wet rag. Ensure you follow the recommendations of the brand you buy.
Prime! A quality bonding primer is necessary if you’re using latex paint. A bonding primer is used to prepare a surface, make it ready and suitable for topcoat application. This type of primer has been highly engineered to stick on any challenging surfaces like a slick substrate. When a bonding primer is applied to the surface, it creates a more secure adhesion from the existing coating and the new coating without sanding the surface
The step mentioned above is essential for a quality and durable paint finish. Your paint will have a slippery or grimy surface if you skip the cleaning, deglosser (liquid sander), or primer. You might not need to apply two coats of paint if you’re not using latex paint, but if you are, it is highly recommended.
How to Get Wood Paint off Slabs
Though it might be labor-intensive and time-consuming, the results are often worth the effort. By following the steps below, you’ll successfully remove paint off your slab without causing damage to the wood.
Ensure you’re putting on the safety gear that is essential to wear, such as gloves, glasses, and respirator, in the presence of a chemical paint stripper. After going through the manufacturer’s instruction, pour your chosen paint stripper (solvent-based) into an empty bucket. The use of solvent-based strippers is highly recommended because caustic strippers can change the color of the wood.
Apply the paint stripper with a paintbrush while concentrating on a tiny section of the wood at a time. Leave it on the slab for about 20 minutes or till the paint starts to bubble and peel. If you’re removing several layers of paint, it is necessary to let the solvent sit for few hours. Test the paint as time elapses to see whether it has softened to any noticeable degree.
Using a paint scraper, take off as much paint as possible from the area where you applied the stripper. Gently scrape and don’t gouge the slab. You can repeat the process once you’ve removed all you can with the scraper by reapplying the stripper and going through the steps again. When you’re satisfied with the condition of the area you’ve been stripping, you can then move on to the next section.
After working on all sections and you’ve removed all the paint from the portions of the slab, you can then address recessed areas by spreading the stripper on the slab again. Then wait at least 20 minutes but scrape with a wire brush so that it can access that hard-to-reach crest and depressions. Ensure you don’t scrape too hard as it can leave scratches on the slab.
Wash the slab with a clean, water-soaked rag and sand down the entire surface. You can use a power sander to make quicker work of sanding the broad and flat sections, but you should still manually sand any craves parts of the piece. Then finally, wipe the slab free of dust and debris.
Painting on Wood Slices
Before you paint on wood slices, you need to know the kind of paint to use, which include: Crafters commonly use acrylic paint- This on wood, cement, plastic, and many more surfaces. This paint dries very fast, and it adheres to wood perfectly.
Latex paint- This paint sticks and covers wood slices very well.
Chalk paint is perfect for wood slices, mason jars, terracotta pots, etc. it covers and dries fast. Do not leave the bottle open for an extended or of time so that it won’t dry out. Just pour a small amount in plastic and close the remaining.
Now that we know the kind of paint to use on wood slices let’s paint!
- Prepare a wood slice
Using fine sandpaper, sand the surface of the wood slice, then clean with a damp cloth and leave it to dry. Apply two coats of acrylic polymer on the slice and leave to dry.
- Paint the base color
Immediately the wood slice surface is dry, use any painter’s brush and paint 1-2 coat (ensure the first coat dries up before applying the second coat) of the base color. Use any paint of your choice, either latex or acrylic paint.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Epoxy for Wood Slabs
Let’s see the most important things to consider before making a purchase:
This is the thickness of a liquid or gelled substance. Epoxies with low viscosity will be thinner, while high viscosity epoxies will be thicker. Although a thick epoxy gives a rich and shiny appearance on a finished product, it’ll be hard to finish the project quickly, and it will be hard for air bubbles to escape before it dries up.
Temperature most times affects viscosity as most epoxies tend to get thicker when cold, so it’s essential to be careful about the choice of product if you live in a colder environment.
Drying and curing time
Drying times and curing times of epoxies vary accordingly because epoxies use a wide variety of hardeners. It is imperative to think about how you’ll use the epoxy and the amount of time you’ll need before choosing one.
Considering how the finished product will be used is also crucial as it determines whether it’ll be food-safe or not. Finished projects like cutting boards, tables, bar tops, etc., will need to be food safe. Check the label if it’s completely safe.
For artistic projects, this is a significant concern. Many manufacturers aren’t always honest about this kind of thing as most claim that theirs is non-yellowing even when it isn’t. Yellowing might not be a problem if you’re dealing with a project for which appearance is a nonissue. However, it is advisable to check reviews of the product before you buy.
Bubbles come from several different places inside and outside the formula, which completely ruins the finish of an epoxy resin. You need to apply the epoxy in a warm place if the bubbles are seeping into the epoxy from outside. But if it’s from within, you’ll need a hot gun to get them out. This effect has a more significant impact on formulas that cured quickly.
This is when the chemical structure of the product lends itself to a level surface. That is, it creates a level surface without any effort from you. Although self-leveling epoxy still requires some brushstrokes to spread evenly around the surface, most users still agree that it creates a smoother finish with less brushing.
This is a frustrating issue that doesn’t appear until after the resin is already well into the curing process. Though some epoxy resin protects against this effect, it mars the finish of a surface, and the only way to prevent blushing is to keep the workspace as dry as possible.
Ultraviolet rays cause a clear epoxy to become yellow, cloudy, and break down over time. If you want something that will last for years, some resins can only cure under UV light. These resins will only remain tacky if it’s not under a UV light source, which gives you plenty of time to work out bubbles, smoothen our rough spots, and assurance that it won’t degrade in the sun.
This is the most crucial consideration for an epoxy resin, especially if you’re a beginner or inexperienced user. When the epoxy is challenging to apply, It will not cure properly, so even professionals most times prefer products that are easier to use.
Conclusion – Best Epoxy For Wood Slabs
Most epoxies provide a similar finish to surfaces, but if you’re looking for a product with a nice finish and coverage, go for pro marine supplies epoxy(Uniqueness is its coverage). A durable and UV-resistant epoxy gives assurance of a protective coating that lasts longer.
You can only use some epoxy indoors while some can only be used outside, which is one reason why it is essential to know where you should keep your finished project to avoid cracking.
Ensure you read the label to be sure you’re using the suitable epoxy for your project. You can choose any of the above products for beginners as they are straightforward to use with no confusion. Just read the label on the product and follow the instructions. This article should help you make intelligent decisions, and we hope we’ve succeeded in doing that.